The student newspaper of The Secondary School for Journalism

Bird's Eye View

Welcome to Grayspace!

Hey y’all,

Welcome to Grayspace. This is a column I will be writing for SSJ’s digital newspaper, Birds Eye View. And before you start bombarding me with questions, I’ll explain the reasoning behind the name of the column. Oftentimes, on social or political issues, we only see two extremes: the black and the white. But if you look deeper, you’ll find that there are varying shades of gray, from gunmetal to platinum. In other words there will be varying perspectives on a multitude of topics that are not Donald Trump’s opinion on whether orange skin is an attractive look. As a student at SSJ, I am aware that the school is mostly made up of people of color, and as the editor-in-chief of this newspaper, I feel that it is necessary to discuss race, gender, LGBTQ, sexism, rape culture, Black Lives Matter (BLM), politics and so much more which we’ll get to later. The current social and political events of today makes the message that I’m trying to convey all the more important and I can only hope you all are willing to listen. By next year, I am hoping that our school will be able to live up to our name, Secondary School for Journalism. The more people we have on our team the better. If you are interested in being a part of this, please know that it requires patience, dedication, commitment and time. Everyone is welcome here and it’s a safe space, whether you’re darkskin, brownskin, lightskin, bi, gay or straight and so on and so forth. I look forward to hearing from you all. This is your newspaper and feedback is always welcome.

Sincerely, Inna Ali

PS: And no, my name is not eena, iña, inda or eyena. Just Inna, In-NA. Thank you